Drupal is a free and open source Content Management System (CMS) written in PHP. It allows to easily publish, manage and organize a wide variety of content on a website.
Drupal is highly popular
Drupal is currently used by more than 500 000 users over the world. Dozens of well-known blue chip companies use it as well as NGOs & not-for-profit organizations. One of the latest famous addition to the long list is the official whitehouse.gov website adopted in October 2009 by the US administration.
Drupal comes out of the box with default modules called core modules which can be easily enabled or disabled by the administrator. Here are some features provided by the Drupal core:
- Access statistics and logging
- Advanced search functionalities
- Blogs, books, comments, forums, and polls
- Caching and feature throttling for improved performance under load
- Search Engine Friendly URLs (for example, "www.example.com/products" rather than "www.example.com/?q=node/432")
- Multi-level menu system
- Multi-site support
- Multi-user content creation and editing
- OpenID support
- RSS Feed and Feed Aggregator
- Security/new release update notification
- User profiles
- Various access control restrictions (user roles, IP addresses, email)
- Workflow tools (Triggers and Actions)
If this is not enough, since Drupal core was designed to be modular, it is possible to add non-core modules called contributed modules. Thousands of those are written and contributed by the Drupal community and are available on the Drupal website.
More and more modules
What is that ugly design?
You do not like the default website design? No problem, Drupal comes out of the box with some default designs called themes and some contributed themes are also available on the Drupal website. However a company's brand and brand experience does not have to be compromised - our User Experience, Design and Development teams have successfully optimed brand and user experience successfully with a number of clients.
More info available on the official Drupal website: http://drupal.org/